You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleted photos in Photo App cannot be imported again ?

I have all my photos file on an external HD and import them into Photo.app as referenced, or at least I believe it. If I delete the pictures in Photo.app later I cannot import them again. Photo.app says they are already imported even if I do not see them. In Aperture I cannot uncheck the command "Do not import duplicates" but I cannot find the same workaround in Photo.app. I mean Photo.app (Foto.app in Italian NOT iPhoto) under 10.4.4

Thanks for any suggestion.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 27, 2019 7:50 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2019 1:00 PM

You should read this user tip and take it to heart: Disadvantages of a Referenced Library in Photos for Mac.

5 replies

Apr 27, 2019 12:50 PM in response to Old Toad

After your suggestion and my previous reply:

I MADE A NEW TEST NOW

Deleted 1 picture. Recently deleted is created. I delete the picture in it and after I am able to load the same picture again from the external HD into a new Folder of Photo clicking on "Import new picture". Then I can move the picture from the new folder into the folder from which it was previously deleted.

That is everything works as you suggested. But again it is impossible to reimport the few pictures I deleted last time.

May be I deleted the complete folder (Album) with the picture in it ?

If I select the pictures in the external HD, Photo says the are already imported.

Thanks for a new suggestion.

Apr 28, 2019 2:06 AM in response to Old Toad

Thanks Old Toad and thanks to léonie. There is no solution. I had forgotten the story thinking that with all the improvements of Photo this Disadvantages could have been removed in this times but unfortunately not. Actually I still use both Aperture AND Photo. Each with referenced files on 2 different external HD, one only for Aperture with jpg and raw and a copy of this HD with same folders structure (Year-Month-Album) but only with jpg for Photo.app. Aperture does not see recente RAW files, which I transform in DNG. I am not interested in iClod, only streaming for the very few pictures I take with iPhone to save them on a disc in the old traditional way. I resist with Aperture as long as possible, and use Photo to find pictures more easy and later if necessary to process them with Aperture. They keep the same Folder position and same file name on both HD. A third HD is reserved only as safety copy.

Thank for your help to refresh my memory.

Deleted photos in Photo App cannot be imported again ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.