You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to add citations/bibliography in Pages?

Hello, I'm trying to add citations for an essay in Pages but everywhere I look it just mentions something about some 'EndNote' program but when I try to insert a citation that button is greyed out. What am I missing?

Thanks for any help!

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 29, 2019 3:51 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2019 4:49 AM

Click on the Pages Help menu and enter citations in the search bar. Follow the link to Add a bibliography… . Pages offers no bibliography functionality without the external EndNotes X6 or later software which is purpose-built to manage citations and create bibliographies.

Pages is designed to work with the third-party EndNote program via the Pages EndNote Plug-in v3.1. By launching EndNote prior to launching Pages, and with this plug-in installed, the Insert Menu : EndNote Citation… menu item will be active. If you are not going to purchase EndNote, then do not install this plug-in.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 29, 2019 4:49 AM in response to DaLukas101

Click on the Pages Help menu and enter citations in the search bar. Follow the link to Add a bibliography… . Pages offers no bibliography functionality without the external EndNotes X6 or later software which is purpose-built to manage citations and create bibliographies.

Pages is designed to work with the third-party EndNote program via the Pages EndNote Plug-in v3.1. By launching EndNote prior to launching Pages, and with this plug-in installed, the Insert Menu : EndNote Citation… menu item will be active. If you are not going to purchase EndNote, then do not install this plug-in.

How to add citations/bibliography in Pages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.