You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Artwork for music added to iTunes library

Sometimes when I add music to iTunes, converted from vinyl album or cassette, random artwork in the form of a document appears (e.g. a recipe from BBC Food). I have tried deleting the artwork and replacing it with appropriate album artwork from the internet but nothing changes and the original document image remains.

Has anyone had a similar problem and know of a solution a solution?

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 29, 2019 12:22 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2019 11:24 AM

See Managing apps with iTunes 12.7 or later - Apple Community. These are a legacy from earlier builds of iTunes that included features for downloading app in iTunes and reorganizing them on a connected device. Typically on a Mac management of books & PDFs has been moved from iTunes into the Books app. Quite why iTunes was using that thumbnail for unrelated content is a mystery but if you've managed to fix it then all is well.

tt2

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 30, 2019 11:24 AM in response to JimH69

See Managing apps with iTunes 12.7 or later - Apple Community. These are a legacy from earlier builds of iTunes that included features for downloading app in iTunes and reorganizing them on a connected device. Typically on a Mac management of books & PDFs has been moved from iTunes into the Books app. Quite why iTunes was using that thumbnail for unrelated content is a mystery but if you've managed to fix it then all is well.

tt2

Apr 30, 2019 11:19 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for your suggestion, however before deleting the iTunes Album Artwork folder I thought I would try deleting the offending recipe file from "Books" (I actually converted it from a PDF to a word document and saved in "Documents").

This had the desired effect of showing the correct album cover in iTunes without any further intervention from me.

Before I decided on this course of action I had a look at the contents of the iTunes folder in Finder and noticed that one of the sub folders of iTunes Media was a folder called Mobile Applications which contained a number of "ipa" files one of which was "iBooks" which is not something I would have thought should open with iTunes. I don't know if this is related to the problem I had but it seems a strange relationship as do some of the other ipa files listed.

Once again thanks for your help.

Apr 30, 2019 8:04 AM in response to turingtest2

Hmm, not sure I trust iTunes to do this.

Is it possible the search the Album Artwork folder and delete the offending artwork, if it is obvious, as I can do without the recipe?

Alternatively would deleting the source file in "Books" work?

I will have a think about it but in the meantime where do I find the artwork folder?

Artwork for music added to iTunes library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.