You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS Mail only shows one flagged email

There are at least six flagged emails but only one shows up in iOS Mail on the iPhone and iPad. However, on my MBP all of them show up in Mail as they should.

They used to show up. About a month or two ago this dropped to just one.

I tried changing the options for filtering but that didn't change anything. I dropped by an Apple store but they didn't have any ideas about this.

Any thoughts?

iPad Pro, iOS 12

Posted on May 1, 2019 8:51 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 2, 2019 5:50 PM

I got the answer. The issue is that Mail on iOS works differently than Mail on macOS. The Flagged folder on macOS does a global search. The Flagged folder on iOS only looks at the inbox. On the MacBook Pro I had set a rule to collect emails from source to a named folder. This iCloud folder could be seen by iOS, but since the emails were no longer in the Inbox the Flagged folder on iOS didn't show them.

So, there was no problem, just that iOS works differently than macOS regarding Mail and Flagged folders. macOS does a global search for flagged emails, iOS only searches the Inbox for flagged emails.

As to why one single email on iOS kept showing up as flagged, that is a mystery. I deleted that and now both platforms are self-consistent.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 2, 2019 5:50 PM in response to John Konopka

I got the answer. The issue is that Mail on iOS works differently than Mail on macOS. The Flagged folder on macOS does a global search. The Flagged folder on iOS only looks at the inbox. On the MacBook Pro I had set a rule to collect emails from source to a named folder. This iCloud folder could be seen by iOS, but since the emails were no longer in the Inbox the Flagged folder on iOS didn't show them.

So, there was no problem, just that iOS works differently than macOS regarding Mail and Flagged folders. macOS does a global search for flagged emails, iOS only searches the Inbox for flagged emails.

As to why one single email on iOS kept showing up as flagged, that is a mystery. I deleted that and now both platforms are self-consistent.

iOS Mail only shows one flagged email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.