You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lock down stolen phone using IMEI

6S got stolen 2yrs ago. This morning I woke up to a msg. from China requesting for Apple ID sign-in, which I promptly declined- only to find somehow someone was able to sign out all the devices under my Apple ID without me knowing!

Apple claimed such critical security breach is unlikely (bs).

Can Apple not report/lock down stolen phone using its serial number?

Posted on May 5, 2019 4:32 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 5, 2019 7:04 AM

You are welcome. If I am understanding your question correctly, you still need to turn off Find My Phone, which requires your Apple ID and password to approve turning it off.

Remove an iOS device or Mac

• On an iOS device: Go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud, then turn off Find My [device]. Enter your Apple ID password, then tap Turn Off.

Find My Phone – Remove device

Apple doesn’t routinely monitor the discussions. These are mostly user to user discussions.

If you want to, you can send Apple feedback. They won't answer, but at least will know there is a problem or a suggestion for change. If enough people send feedback, it may get the problem/suggested change solved sooner.

Click here to send Feedback

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 5, 2019 7:04 AM in response to iphonegotstolen

You are welcome. If I am understanding your question correctly, you still need to turn off Find My Phone, which requires your Apple ID and password to approve turning it off.

Remove an iOS device or Mac

• On an iOS device: Go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud, then turn off Find My [device]. Enter your Apple ID password, then tap Turn Off.

Find My Phone – Remove device

Apple doesn’t routinely monitor the discussions. These are mostly user to user discussions.

If you want to, you can send Apple feedback. They won't answer, but at least will know there is a problem or a suggestion for change. If enough people send feedback, it may get the problem/suggested change solved sooner.

Click here to send Feedback

May 5, 2019 6:48 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks for your reply Eric.

Most people simply follow their advice to update password and signing out account across all Apple devices. Doesn’t this mean passively freeing up the stolen device without binding IDs?

Obviously some managed to manipulate other’s personal Apple ID on a stolen device. Security breach is an issue.

Maybe Apple should hire those hackers to help with the tracing.

I feel Apple should enforce a more strict lockdown on reported stolen devices. Have a website for people to check serial numbers or something.

May 6, 2019 5:50 AM in response to Eric Root

Actually the stolen device randomly appears under my account (my guess it’s been reformatted). As of now, it has disappeared, which means I have no control over it now after I reset the password and sign out of all devices.

But out of curiosity, can Apple not help trace the stolen device using the serial number/IMEI? 

Serial#:  FK***RYF

IMEI:

MKQR2TA/A iPhone6s, rose gold, 64GB

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

Lock down stolen phone using IMEI

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.