You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCPx audio drift, syncing not working

just getting into some simple video tutorials. Not sure what’s going on. Did several tracks recording audio to various devices including audio recorder and directly to Mac using ScreenFlow, Quicktime, and direcly into FCPX. Audio sync worked great for them. Using iPhone XS Max and Sony a6500 for the video.

Then suddenly it’s not working ... well after running a bunch of tests, it works once in a while. Most of the time it looks like the audio is just attached, no attempt at syncing, audio track is shorter than video so manually syncing requires the audio to be stretched out.

I’ve added claps to beginning and end of audio, FCPx doesn’t even get any of them lined up. As I mentioned it appears it’s just attaching the audio with no modification or attempt to sync directly to the camera clip.

I’ve seen this has been an issue with various releases of FCPx in the past, wondering if this is a preference thing or if anyone else has figured out a fix.

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 6, 2019 1:51 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 7, 2019 9:31 PM

So this turns out to be hardware related. All of my video recordings for the screencasts have involved a 2018 MacBook Pro that has been connected to an OWC ThunderBolt dock on one side, and a eGPU on the other. Since this video was a comparison of a couple of docks, I was shooting the video without having the TB3 dock connected to the computer since I was showing it in the video. There was nothing I could do to get audio recorded correctly. The audio was always shorter, by about .5 to .7 seconds per minute or worse. Thought it might be related to not getting power from the eGPU, but verified it was.

This morning I hooked the OWC dock back into the system and all the tests worked. So tonight I tested it again when I got home, still worked.

So I decided to try making the video clip again, disconnected the TB3 dock so the eGPU was powering the computer, had to use a different USB connecter so the scarlet 2i2 would remain connected, and suddenly the audio is short again.

I have no clue why this is happening, I always thought with audio dropouts you just had blank spots in your audio, but seems like it would totally drop recording audio randomly throughout the test.

No idea, but not worth fixing, I’ll manually sync the file I need. ( Unless some other random thing is the cause and my theory is just coincidental to these tests and it shows up again).

Guessing this is why FCPx just didn’t even attempt to match it up.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 7, 2019 9:31 PM in response to Wayne Fox

So this turns out to be hardware related. All of my video recordings for the screencasts have involved a 2018 MacBook Pro that has been connected to an OWC ThunderBolt dock on one side, and a eGPU on the other. Since this video was a comparison of a couple of docks, I was shooting the video without having the TB3 dock connected to the computer since I was showing it in the video. There was nothing I could do to get audio recorded correctly. The audio was always shorter, by about .5 to .7 seconds per minute or worse. Thought it might be related to not getting power from the eGPU, but verified it was.

This morning I hooked the OWC dock back into the system and all the tests worked. So tonight I tested it again when I got home, still worked.

So I decided to try making the video clip again, disconnected the TB3 dock so the eGPU was powering the computer, had to use a different USB connecter so the scarlet 2i2 would remain connected, and suddenly the audio is short again.

I have no clue why this is happening, I always thought with audio dropouts you just had blank spots in your audio, but seems like it would totally drop recording audio randomly throughout the test.

No idea, but not worth fixing, I’ll manually sync the file I need. ( Unless some other random thing is the cause and my theory is just coincidental to these tests and it shows up again).

Guessing this is why FCPx just didn’t even attempt to match it up.

May 6, 2019 2:06 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thanks for the response.

Not sure, I can check that when I get back to where I have this all set up. But I haven’t changed anything regarding those settings, not sure why it suddenly quit working. I guess I assumed when I imported audio into FCPx it would mange that and correct it. Maybe that’s not true or maybe there’s a setting I’m missing on import? I also thought the whole idea of audio sync was to look at the waveforms and match them up. As I said, all it’s doing is attaching the two without any modification of the audio or attempt to sync.

May 6, 2019 5:09 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

appreciate your help. Still puzzled by all of this since the audio out of sync appears to be quite significant, audio losing about ⅔’s second every 40 seconds or so. If I record into to FCPx or Audacity at 44.1khz or at 48khz, neither matches the audio of the camera (or is even close). If I record into my Zoom H1n set to 44.1khz, audio matches which seems strange because I thought most dslr’s type cameras recorded at 48khz. of course the entire purpose of going straight into the computer is so I can manage and process the audio with a dbx286 channel strip through a FocusRite 2i2, which means I don’t have to post process the audio or worry about getting it off the card.

This work great for 3 or 4 videos, everything synced. I need to go back to those and see if the audio matched to start with and what the difference might have been or if FCPx just managed to sync them and it’s not doing it now.

I’ve experimented with seeing if this is due to variable frame rate of the video recording, but no luck there.

May 6, 2019 11:57 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Files from camera show 48khz audio when I look at the file info in QuickTime. However, in FCPx I can sync 44.1khz audio from ZoomH1n no problem, no drifting. Audio recorded into FCPx using voiceover at the same time does not match up.

I verified a video I shot last week with these exact settings matched up no problem, recorded audio directly into ScreenFlow while I recorded video on the camera, imported the video into ScreenFlow, lined them up and no issues. Now this doesn’t work.

I have no clue what has changed. I tried changing the apple audio midi setup for the scarlet 2i2 usb interface too 44.1khz, no good, 48khz, no good.

I’ll do some more testing tomorrow.

I know I’m not an engineer and no clue how this all works, but it seems the software should be smart enough to detect the rate and adjust the audio to fit the timeline of the track so 1 sec = 1 second. I can’t find any combination of bitrates that work. I’m going to test with the Sony a7r3 tomorrow to see if somehow something has changed on the camera, a video I did a couple of weeks ago I used both cameras and recorded the audio into ScreenFlow, exported the audio out and synced everything up in FCPx, worked perfectly.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

May 7, 2019 10:44 AM in response to Wayne Fox

Something else going on. I ran a test this morning, recorded audio in from my scarlet 2i2 to Audacity (project set to 44.1), also to Piezo which ended recording a 44.1 m4a file. Exported from Audacity a 44.1 wav file, and a 48 wav file. Data on the camera shows audio is at 48khz. I verified all of the audio using QuickTime inspector to be sure the sample rate matched. Imported all into FCP and all audio matched perfectly with no modifications. Also pulled them into ScreenFlow and audio matched perfectly.

So I ran a quick test recording audio into ScreenFlow and video on the Sony a6500, and it matched perfectly. Exact same test that I ran when I quit testing last night before calling it a day which drifted by nearly 1 sec per minute of audio.

I have no clue what is going on, but it seems perhaps system related since it randomly works fine and doesn’t other times. Problem is I can’t tell when it is going to work and when it isn’t. I don’t think it’s related to the sampling rate though.

So any other thoughts would be appreciated.

FCPx audio drift, syncing not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.