You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

3T import - How to I avoid importing duplicates

I have 3T of unsorted and duplicated photos in a bunch of files now consolidated on one external hard drive. I am trying to import into Photos, but hoping theres a way to keep Photos from importing more than one copy of each duplicated photo. Does anyone know how to do this?

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 8, 2019 1:18 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 8, 2019 6:52 AM

It will depend on the kind of duplicates you have. If the duplicates are exact copies with the same file attributes (same filename, dates, file size for example), Photos will warn you, if the same file is already in your Photos Library, because it compares the new imports to the photos already in the library. But Photos will not check for similar photos - if you have the same photo in different states of edit or downsized.

To use the built-in duplicate detection on import, do not import the photos all at once, but in smaller groups, since Photos is not looking for duplicates among the photos it is going to import, but comparing the current import to the photos already in the library. Import each folder separately.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 8, 2019 6:52 AM in response to ADbabies

It will depend on the kind of duplicates you have. If the duplicates are exact copies with the same file attributes (same filename, dates, file size for example), Photos will warn you, if the same file is already in your Photos Library, because it compares the new imports to the photos already in the library. But Photos will not check for similar photos - if you have the same photo in different states of edit or downsized.

To use the built-in duplicate detection on import, do not import the photos all at once, but in smaller groups, since Photos is not looking for duplicates among the photos it is going to import, but comparing the current import to the photos already in the library. Import each folder separately.

3T import - How to I avoid importing duplicates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.