You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV

When trying to play a movie on my first generation Apple TV hooked to my tv set, cannot get the movie to play. I enter my Apple ID with password and the code. The tv goes back and asks again for my Apple ID and password.

Posted on May 13, 2019 5:25 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 13, 2019 11:12 AM

You are probably exceeding the time limit; some have reported that its is merely 30 seconds between receiving the verification code and submitting.

Enter your password, but do not submit yet. Request a (new) code, and append that to the password, without space or other separator character. Then submit. Entering 6 digits should be doable within the given time.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 13, 2019 11:12 AM in response to Hansel01

You are probably exceeding the time limit; some have reported that its is merely 30 seconds between receiving the verification code and submitting.

Enter your password, but do not submit yet. Request a (new) code, and append that to the password, without space or other separator character. Then submit. Entering 6 digits should be doable within the given time.

May 13, 2019 6:26 AM in response to Hansel01

Is your Apple TV 3.9 inch and black, or 7.7 inch and silver-white? The black models are 2nd generation or later.

Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

If you have two-factor authentication for your Apple ID, and a 2nd or 3rd generation with older software, then the sign-in procedure is a bit special:

What if I use two-factor authentication on a device running older software?
If you use two-factor authentication with devices running older OS versions—like an Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation)—you might be asked to add your six-digit verification code to the end of your password when signing in. Get your verification code* from a trusted device running iOS 9 and later or OS X El Capitan and later, or have it sent to your trusted phone number. Then type your password followed by the six-digit verification code directly into the password field.

There is a time limit before the code expires, so request your code (or a new code*) after entering the characters of your password, to use those precious seconds effectively for just the code.

Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.