You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers to Excel conversion

Hello. I recently started having problem with file conversion from Excel to Numbers and back. When I download Excel file I get funny numbers/values distorted. Recently I converted file from Numbers to Excel and person ont he other side couldn't open it on their Microsoft pc.

Does anyone know what could have happened? Feeling quite disabled by this error.

Thank you. Mike

MacBook, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 15, 2019 1:14 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

May 15, 2019 4:22 AM in response to MikeAfrica

Hi Mike,

Numbers and Excel share some features (not all features) and many functions (not all functions).

Perhaps this will help you:

https://www.apple.com/mac/numbers/compatibility/

What features or functions are not working for you and your Excel friends?

When you export from Numbers to Excel, what error message (if any) do you see?

When you import from Excel to Numbers, what error message (if any) do you see?

Regards,

Ian.

May 15, 2019 4:27 AM in response to SGIII

Hi. I received an Excel file which is a price list on several sheets for different products. I did receive similar document from another sender before and I could save it no problem. When I open the file I see strange numbers. See below snapshot. I donated collaborate often but I do use Excel occasionally to convert files to or receive on my end. I don't see a huge need of buying Excel. So as you can see in cells where there ar supposed to be real numbers I get huge percentage values.

May 15, 2019 4:20 AM in response to MikeAfrica

Lot's of things could have happened. What actually happened depends vey much on the specifics of your document. Can you share any more information?

Keep in mind that Numbers does a pretty good job of opening and saving Excel documents (a much better job than Excel does of opening and saving Numbers documents😀; it doesn't even try). But the applications are very different so the results will not be perfect.

If you are collaborating with people who use Excel and frequently send documents back and forth then you will probably be a lot happier using Excel, which runs well on the Mac. If, on the other hand, you only occasionally need to share data, and don't need full compatibility, then Numbers will do the job.

SG

Numbers to Excel conversion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.