You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No possibility of connecting external screens on Mojave 10.14.5

I have followed all suggestions provived in https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8639008 but as of May 2019 and Mac OSX 10.14.5 there is still no possibility of connecting any external screen or display to a Macbook Pro 13. I have installed DisplayLink software, but the system preferences still lack the Detect Screen option (see picture).

Isn't there a solution to this yet?

Posted on May 21, 2019 9:51 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 22, 2019 12:41 AM

Just to be absolutely sure: have you used this combination - specifically an HDMI-VGA adapter connected to the "digital AV-multiport"?

I am sure that the adapter works, but I would not expect it to carry the analog VGA signal.

6 replies

May 21, 2019 12:14 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I don't really see the point of masking that button. Anyway, I tried it and it does nothing.

It's a Macbook Pro 13 from July 2018 (model MacBookPro15,2) and I'm connecting to a Dell screen via VGA.

I'm using the original USB+HDMI+Thunderbolt 3 adapter

(this one https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJ1K2AM/A/usb-c-digital-av-multiport-adapter?afid=p238%7Cs3kpSGqXc-dc_mtid_1870765e38482_pcrid_246386725857_pgrid_14874603490_&cid=aos-us-kwgo-pla-btb--slid-----product-MJ1K2AM/A)

and then a HDMI to VGA adapter. I don't know the brand of the latter but it has always worked with other machines

May 21, 2019 10:29 AM in response to gigi88

The Detect Displays button only appears when you hold down the Option key.

How exactly are you connecting the external displays? (e.g. HDMI, Thunderbolt, VGA, etc)

What brand and type of adapters?

What model of MacBook Pro? Just saying 13" does not tell us enough... is it a 2017 or newer, or an older mac? (The ports are very different, depending).

May 22, 2019 7:09 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Yes, exactly. Still, I don't understand why it doesn't work. If the digital AV-multiport correctly outputs the signal in HDMI and then the second adapter correctly converts it to VGA, then it should all work or at least I should be able to detect the monitor. Right?

Anyway, it's not the end of the world. Thank you for your support Luis

May 24, 2019 2:11 PM in response to gigi88

It’s not about being good or bad, it’s about whether the adapter carries the analog signal or not.

For example there are many laptops with HDMI ports that support analog VGA signal and can connect to VGA displays using a HDMI-VGA adapter. My 2014 MBP has an all digital HDMI port and it does NOT work with VGA adapters (but of course this mac connects to VGA using the Thunderbolt ports and a miniDP-VGA adapter).

No possibility of connecting external screens on Mojave 10.14.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.