You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backup iTunes

I have an extensive iTunes library (iTunes Music folder is 73G) on an old MBP running OS 10.11. I don’t have enough room on that hard drive for Dropbox, although I do have plenty of room in my Dropbox account, so generally I upload directly to Dropbox. For backing up iTunes, though, I don’t know how to get around this problem of not being able to duplicate the library on my hard drive first.

I did try to copy it to a PC, but much of my iTunes library is from my own sources and not purchased from iTunes, and I only ended up with ITunes-purchased items.

I don’t necessarily need to sync, but at least just copy the existing library. I don't use Time Machine. What's my best option?

MacBook

Posted on May 22, 2019 4:50 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 22, 2019 5:27 AM

Any way that works should be fine. Perhaps you should simply copy over the entire iTunes folder in sections by hand. If the media folder isn't inside the main iTunes folder see Make a split library portable - Apple Community first.

tt2

Similar questions

5 replies

May 22, 2019 5:16 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks!! My Windows machine is just not reliable enough to trust with anything important. And I should have mentioned that my ancient MBP is running very slowly on OS 10.11 and tends to overheat very easily if I throw anything too CPU-intensive at it. Namely, Time Machine. I haven't tried to update Carbon Copy Cloner ever since Snow Leopard! In this case, which backup option might be the least work for my tired old Mac? 

Backup iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.