You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration Assistant Not working

Migration assistant fails to connect.

Connection Method: Wifi

Old Machine: MacBook Pro 2009

New Machine: MacBook Air 2019

The machines can see each other but when I select the old machine from migration assistant on the new machine the assistant will hand for a while and then "Migration Assistant failed to connect to machine XYZ"

Posted on May 22, 2019 11:48 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 22, 2019 11:49 AM

Solution: Ethernet

I have a USB-C to Ethernet dongle. I turned off wifi and connected the machines directly to a router. Migration assistant connected and started the transfer. I suspect the old wireless card just can't handle the traffic. Alternatively one might try making an ad-hoc wifi network from the old machine and connecting the new machine to that.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 22, 2019 11:49 AM in response to caseyfromlewisville

Solution: Ethernet

I have a USB-C to Ethernet dongle. I turned off wifi and connected the machines directly to a router. Migration assistant connected and started the transfer. I suspect the old wireless card just can't handle the traffic. Alternatively one might try making an ad-hoc wifi network from the old machine and connecting the new machine to that.

Migration Assistant Not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.