You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Time Capsule or iCloud

I have a personal and work MacBook Pro. Both devices were connected to iCloud drive and Airport Time capsule. 

My work Mac was stolen and now I have a new Mac for work. What is the best way to restore the files from the old Mac which was stolen? Should I just connect the new Mac to iCloud and it will mirror the desktop from iCloud drive desktop or should I restore from Airport Time Capsule?

MacBook

Posted on May 28, 2019 4:56 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 28, 2019 8:01 AM

If you enabled Documents & Desktop Folders to be save in iCloud and these are all you want to restore, the logging into the same iCloud account will accomplish that. However, if your goal is to restore your data to your new device, then I suggest using Migration Assistant, along with a Time Machine backup, to do that.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 28, 2019 8:01 AM in response to amardeep208

If you enabled Documents & Desktop Folders to be save in iCloud and these are all you want to restore, the logging into the same iCloud account will accomplish that. However, if your goal is to restore your data to your new device, then I suggest using Migration Assistant, along with a Time Machine backup, to do that.

May 28, 2019 8:23 AM in response to amardeep208

If you must retain the old backups, for whatever reason, I suggest that you first archive the backups to another external drive, and then, erase the Time Capsule to make room for the upcoming backup sets for your new device. If you don't need to retain them, then just erase the drive and start a new backup set fo the new device.

Although you do have the option to "inherit" the existing backups for the new device, this doesn't always work as intended and you may end up with a corrupted backup set that will not be useful for either device.

Airport Time Capsule or iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.