You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t install or update Apps

When trying to install or update free Apps, it requests to update payment method. Why?

how can I resolve this without adding payment method?

Last time I had a payment method on my account, some malicious app (fraud), stole from me, charged me for service I didn’t purchase on a weekly basis. Apple blocked this app in the store but the damage was done and apple not taking responsibility for allowing such app on their store and refunding the money apple charged me for.

this is the last time I’m adding payment method to use apps on apple store - only 3rd party apps where the purchase is separated and not via apple.

what to do now with my account? Do I need to create a new one or what?

Posted on May 31, 2019 12:45 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 31, 2019 12:51 AM

You need to select that you don't have/want a payment option.

1. Open Settings → iTunes & App Stores
  2. Tap View Apple ID → Payment Information
  3. Select None as the payment type

If you're not able to select None or the None option is not present for you to select, there are some possible reasons as to why this is the case:

• Unpaid balance
  • Changed country/region
  • Family Sharing management

For more information, see the Apple KB article:

If you want to create a new Apple ID with None as the payment method, purchase a free app from the App Store and choose Create Apple ID. For more information, see:

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 31, 2019 12:51 AM in response to veredko

You need to select that you don't have/want a payment option.

1. Open Settings → iTunes & App Stores
  2. Tap View Apple ID → Payment Information
  3. Select None as the payment type

If you're not able to select None or the None option is not present for you to select, there are some possible reasons as to why this is the case:

• Unpaid balance
  • Changed country/region
  • Family Sharing management

For more information, see the Apple KB article:

If you want to create a new Apple ID with None as the payment method, purchase a free app from the App Store and choose Create Apple ID. For more information, see:

Can’t install or update Apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.