You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update Bar every boot

I'm operating a MacBook Pro with Mojave 10.14.5 and every single time I reboot my machine the update bar shows up and goes through the process and then eventually gets to my desktop. I'm wondering if there's a way to find out what is trying to update and also be able to get it to stop. Since this has started my Mac gets that frustrating rainbow circle happening more often too.

Thanks for any and all guidance / help.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 31, 2019 12:15 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2019 9:14 PM

Consider reinstalling macOS. A clean copy will be written to your system and no data will be lost, unless you use Disk Utility to erase your startup disk.

5 replies

May 31, 2019 2:35 PM in response to ZedsApple

The update may be a MacOS update or perhaps an application update (from the App Store).

There is clearly a lot you have not told us ... about the exact content of the message(s) you see, and specifically what you have done when offered a choice about how to proceed. You may well have been presented with an option to install the update, for example, and have rejected that option.

May 31, 2019 9:59 PM in response to sberman

Thanks for reply sberman,

My computer has been set to automatically install OS & App store updates.

When I click on the app store it doesn't show any apps that need to update. The Mac OS states the system is up to date. So I'm confused as to what is being updated.

I don't get any error messages.

The Mac does the install bar and "goes through the process" and then opens to the desktop like usual with no error messages.

When I turn on or reboot the machine it goes through the same process. It has been doing this process now for 2 weeks and I've turned machine off and soft booted countless times and yet it still goes through the same process.

"I'm having the real life experience of the old movie Groundhog day with Bill Murray!" New title Goundhog Mac day!

Update Bar every boot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.