You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Photos Mac and iPhone Storage question

I have just started using iCloud Photos and have a few questions about storage. I understand that my photos from my iPhone are stored in iCloud as well as on my phone so that they can be views on my MacBook as well, however does that mean that they end up being stored on my MacBook as well, up until I run out of space when iCloud will then optimise storage? I have lots of photos on my phone and not much space on my MacBook so its not much help if using iCloud is going to mean I end up with local copies on my laptop as well.

Thanks

MacBook, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 7, 2019 3:32 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2019 8:14 AM

If you turn on iCloud Photos on the MacBook then it will have local copies. There is an "Optimize Mac Storage" option in Photos Preferences on the Mac that can reduce the space required but there is no option to not have a local copy on any device where iCloud Photos is turned on.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 7, 2019 8:14 AM in response to ukdude13

If you turn on iCloud Photos on the MacBook then it will have local copies. There is an "Optimize Mac Storage" option in Photos Preferences on the Mac that can reduce the space required but there is no option to not have a local copy on any device where iCloud Photos is turned on.

iCloud Photos Mac and iPhone Storage question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.