You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TextEdit Glitch? Default black background

I've been using TextEdit for years with no problem, but in the past day have had a problem. When I open TextEdit it defaults to black background with white text. I changed it in the rich text menu and it *looked* right, but then when I printed it, it printed with black background and white letters. Any idea what's gone wrong? Thanks in advance.

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 8, 2019 10:32 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2019 11:01 AM

In Mojave, TextEdit automatically detects the Appearance setting in System Preferences : General and changes the background and text appearances accordingly. It does not change the internal document foreground/background settings. Want a traditional white background with black text presentation? Use the Light appearance.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 8, 2019 11:01 AM in response to not2brightDOTcom

In Mojave, TextEdit automatically detects the Appearance setting in System Preferences : General and changes the background and text appearances accordingly. It does not change the internal document foreground/background settings. Want a traditional white background with black text presentation? Use the Light appearance.

TextEdit Glitch? Default black background

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.