You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When im updating an app on the app store it want me to sign in with another account. Help!

I have a mac that was someone else in my family and i have factory restarted it and it still prompts to sign in with another apple id when i want to update. Strange....

iMac 21.5" 4K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 9, 2019 5:29 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2019 5:50 AM

A request for another Apple ID password is often caused by updates to apps/purchases that were made when using the other ID. Those purchases are tied to the other ID and can't be transferred. One option is to delete the apps/purchases made by the other ID and download them using the new ID if desired. If necessary, check your purchases history to see which apps/purchases weren’t made by the current ID. 

Purchase History Review

Or you can try to set up Family Sharing to keep access to your purchases.

Family Sharing

Family Sharing - Set up

Family Sharing - Use your own Apple ID for Family Sharing

Family Sharing -What types of content can I share?

Family Sharing - If you don‘t see your family‘s shared content

Family Sharing - purchases and payments

Family Sharing - Hide and unhide music, movies, TV shows, audiobooks, and books

Family Sharing – share iCloud Storage

Family Sharing - Share an iCloud storage plan with your family

Family Sharing and location

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 9, 2019 5:50 AM in response to GarlicBread06

A request for another Apple ID password is often caused by updates to apps/purchases that were made when using the other ID. Those purchases are tied to the other ID and can't be transferred. One option is to delete the apps/purchases made by the other ID and download them using the new ID if desired. If necessary, check your purchases history to see which apps/purchases weren’t made by the current ID. 

Purchase History Review

Or you can try to set up Family Sharing to keep access to your purchases.

Family Sharing

Family Sharing - Set up

Family Sharing - Use your own Apple ID for Family Sharing

Family Sharing -What types of content can I share?

Family Sharing - If you don‘t see your family‘s shared content

Family Sharing - purchases and payments

Family Sharing - Hide and unhide music, movies, TV shows, audiobooks, and books

Family Sharing – share iCloud Storage

Family Sharing - Share an iCloud storage plan with your family

Family Sharing and location

When im updating an app on the app store it want me to sign in with another account. Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.