You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disc Read Error Bootcamp, can't restart

Hey

I've got the dreaded Disc read error. I wasn't doing anything fishy with partitions. My macbook just didn't start for a while. Then it did and I got the dreaded message. Can't press alt+ctrl+del, no del key on macbook keyboard, separate keyboard won't work (yes it works, checked it on my gf's macbook), what is worse my power button won't work so I can't restart my macbook in any way.

What are my options? Waiting till it looses power and then what?

Posted on Jun 15, 2019 11:53 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2019 4:41 PM

Try an SMC reset which will power down the laptop (and restarts the laptop on newer systems). Try it even though the power button doesn't appear to be working. If this doesn't work, then you likely have a hardware issue(s). If the SMC reset works, then also try a PRAM reset. You don't mention anything about whether macOS is able to boot. You may need to take the laptop to an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider to be checked out.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 15, 2019 4:41 PM in response to Norbar

Try an SMC reset which will power down the laptop (and restarts the laptop on newer systems). Try it even though the power button doesn't appear to be working. If this doesn't work, then you likely have a hardware issue(s). If the SMC reset works, then also try a PRAM reset. You don't mention anything about whether macOS is able to boot. You may need to take the laptop to an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider to be checked out.

Disc Read Error Bootcamp, can't restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.