You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Make iOS stop opening MS Word files in Pages

I understand from a previous thread how to stop this bad behavior on a Mac. The solution has to do with selecting a .docx file (without opening it) and Get Info, and then change the Open With option. The problem is that I don’t know how to change that option in iOS Files app. There, you can get the info on a file, but you can’t change any of that info. Help, I use my iPad Pro as a laptop and now I can’t open any file from Files app without launching Pages. Maddening.

iPad Pro, iOS 12

Posted on Jun 17, 2019 6:07 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2019 7:22 PM

Do you have MS Word on your iPad? If you don't, iPad file system is not like a laptop file system and if you open a document it will need to use a compatible app, which is likely why the file is opening in Pages.

1 reply

Make iOS stop opening MS Word files in Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.