You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Separate video and audio file

Hi,

I’m super new to iMovie. I’m trying to create a video that is a combination of a screen record video that I made and a totally separate audio clip. When I edit the video (split frame, etc.) I’d like it to NOT split (or affect) the audio clip. How do I unlink them?

Thanks!

Posted on Jun 18, 2019 8:50 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2019 10:20 PM

Hi,

Put your cursor on the audio clip and, while pressing down, pull the clip straight down into the audio well below until the little connector handle pulls free from the video above it. Then you can edit your video clips without affecting the audio.

Here's a link to Apple's on line help menu that has a good search feature. It will to explain how to use the features of iMovie 10.

https://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.1/

-- Rich

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 18, 2019 10:20 PM in response to colorlessmoods

Hi,

Put your cursor on the audio clip and, while pressing down, pull the clip straight down into the audio well below until the little connector handle pulls free from the video above it. Then you can edit your video clips without affecting the audio.

Here's a link to Apple's on line help menu that has a good search feature. It will to explain how to use the features of iMovie 10.

https://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.1/

-- Rich

Jun 20, 2019 10:06 AM in response to colorlessmoods

It's not enough for the audio clip to be in the audio well at the bottom. It must be pulled down into an even lower audio well.

In this screen shot you can see the audio clip coupled to the video with a little attachment handle:

In the screen shot below you can see that the audio clip has been pulled down into a lower audio well. The attachment handle has been pulled off of the video clip.

-- Rich

Jun 20, 2019 9:43 AM in response to Rich839

Hi Rich,

Thank you for the response!

So my audio is already in the audio well at the bottom. I dragged it there separately from the video file since they were already two different files. The video file itself has no audio attached to it.

I’ll check out the link you sent and see if I can find an answer. I just don’t know the program language well enough to even know what to search for.

Thanks!

sara

Separate video and audio file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.