You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

moving Photos library back to Mac

I moved my Photos library from external drive (WD Passport) back to my MacBook Pro. When I opened the library on the MacBook, no photos show, only empty squares. When I open the Photos library on the Passport, the photos are still there. How do I resolve this issue?

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 20, 2019 8:36 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2019 10:45 AM

You should be able to just drag and drop the library from the EHD to the Pictures folder on your Mac.

You can try using a copy/backup/clone app to copy library.

Another method which has worked for some in the past is to create a new folder in your Pictures folder. Open the library's package on the EJD and copy the components inside the library to the new folder. When all is copies name the folder Photos Library.photoslibrary and try opening it with Photos

Question regarding the empty squares: are these the thumbnail version or the full version (double click on the thumbnail to open)? If they are the thumbnail version try rotating them one direction and then back again to rebuild the thumbnail.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 20, 2019 10:45 AM in response to pogo2299

You should be able to just drag and drop the library from the EHD to the Pictures folder on your Mac.

You can try using a copy/backup/clone app to copy library.

Another method which has worked for some in the past is to create a new folder in your Pictures folder. Open the library's package on the EJD and copy the components inside the library to the new folder. When all is copies name the folder Photos Library.photoslibrary and try opening it with Photos

Question regarding the empty squares: are these the thumbnail version or the full version (double click on the thumbnail to open)? If they are the thumbnail version try rotating them one direction and then back again to rebuild the thumbnail.

Jun 20, 2019 9:59 AM in response to Old Toad

Thanks for your response, OT. External drive is formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

I don't know if the Photos Library is Managed or Referenced. When I tried to find out by opening it on the external drive just now, Photos gave me a message that I must "delete incomplete items" before the library would open. I have no idea what that means.

Jun 20, 2019 10:02 AM in response to pogo2299

Launch Photos with the Option key held down and create a new, test library. Check the preferences to see if it's a referenced or managed library. Import a couple of photos into it, open and close a couple of times.

Now launch Photos with the Option held down again and open your current library. See if it will get past the message you've been getting.

Jun 20, 2019 10:23 AM in response to Old Toad

I created the new test library. Preferences says it's a Managed library.

Imported several photos into, opened & closed several times.

Launched Photos & opened library on the WD Passport successfully.

Now I'm back to my original dilemma: how do I move the Photos Library (currently designated as the Systems Library) from the WD Passport to the Mac and be able to see the photos?

Jun 20, 2019 11:41 AM in response to Old Toad

I've decided to give one more try to the "drag&drop" method and see if there was some interim dialog box I missed. If the empty squares appear again, I'll try your suggestion of opening one. If this method fails again, I'll try your suggestion of creating the new folder and copying library components into it.

Thanks again for your ongoing help, OT. I'll let you know in the next few days what happens. (It'll take nearly a day to copy her library!)

moving Photos library back to Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.