You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will lost iPhone 7 plus still ask for passcode if I erase it using iCloud Find my iPhone?

My iPhone 7 plus was stolen a week ago, and I had Find my iPhone turned on. I used it to put an activation lock on the phone, and so far it appears that only once has the phone been turned on.

I have been advised by the local police here (Sierra Leone) to remove the device from iCloud so that the phone can be used. Their fear is that if the thief or thieves find that the phone can't be used they will dismantle it and try to sell the parts and I'll never recover it. They have assured me that if the phone is made usable they can trace it through the IMEI number.

So should I erase the phone first then remove it from the iCloud account? Will it still ask for my passcode when it is turned on after it has been erased?

Thanks for your assistance.

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 12

Posted on Jun 24, 2019 9:02 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2019 7:20 PM

Do not remove it from Apple ID.

If you remove the device from your account after you erase it, Activation Lock will be turned off. This allows another person to turn on and use your device.

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is lost or stolen - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-euro/HT201472

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 24, 2019 7:20 PM in response to twinwitch

Do not remove it from Apple ID.

If you remove the device from your account after you erase it, Activation Lock will be turned off. This allows another person to turn on and use your device.

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is lost or stolen - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-euro/HT201472

Will lost iPhone 7 plus still ask for passcode if I erase it using iCloud Find my iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.