You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

duplicate contacts

I have duplicate contacts on one of my Macs. I have done the obvious trouble-shooting that I looked up. looked at the 'card' header, merge duplicates, etc. that's not it. It actually doesn't see the duplicates.

I think I am synching to iCloud (intended), but also have remnants of what was resident on the iMac.

I have four total apple devices - phone, pad, MacBook and iMac. only the iMac has this issue, the others are consistent. Having multiple devices is great for trouble-shooting because I can compare settings and look for the aberration, but nothing works here.

Anyone advice/suggestions? I suspect I might have to undo and redo something... but not sure.

thanks - Doug

iMac 27", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 24, 2019 12:16 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2019 11:08 PM

If you have signed in with same Apple ID and password on the same network in Mac and iPhone or other apple devices the contacts on each device will get synced , if the same contacts are in devices they will be seen as duplicates ( as if you had already created contacts in Mac and the same are in iPhone ) .

To avoid it , disconnect the desired device by just signing out from Apple ID account , then delete the duplicate contacts in each device .

See this article https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT203565

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 24, 2019 11:08 PM in response to Adcom503

If you have signed in with same Apple ID and password on the same network in Mac and iPhone or other apple devices the contacts on each device will get synced , if the same contacts are in devices they will be seen as duplicates ( as if you had already created contacts in Mac and the same are in iPhone ) .

To avoid it , disconnect the desired device by just signing out from Apple ID account , then delete the duplicate contacts in each device .

See this article https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT203565

duplicate contacts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.