You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Admin password rejected, but only for a couple specific tasks

I am on a 2013 27” iMac running macOS 10.13.6. Everything seemed to be working just fine. I am the only user. My account has admin rights. I am able to download, install apps and updates without issue.. Today I wanted change something in my user account settings. For the first time in recent memory (while using High Sierra) my password was rejected. But only when I try to access users and groups or security&privacy. I have used the same password since Mountain Lion. I can still login, install and update without issue. At first I thought I may have been hacked because I never actually created a ROOT account. I created a root account successfully, so I am leaning less toward hacked and more toward OS error. I am trying to avoid a complete clean reinstall if possible. Looking for ideas/suggestions.

iMac 27", macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 25, 2019 8:57 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2019 9:08 PM

Doesn't sound like Hacked, but corruption somewhere.

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

Similar questions

1 reply

Admin password rejected, but only for a couple specific tasks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.