You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two-sided Option to Print Is Greyed Out

I have an HP LaserJet M1217 that I've used for years with my iMac. Today, I went to print a document two-side, but the checkbox option for two-sided was no longer there. I did some research, and found it had been buried in the Layout dialogue. However, the two-sided option is greyed out.

The HP driver was recently updated. How do I get my two-sided printing back?

I'd love to have that simple checkbox back that turned two-sided printing on and off.

Thank you.

iMac 27", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 28, 2019 5:48 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2019 6:28 AM

I am not familiar with that particular printer, but usually when you add a new printer, you are asked for available options and if, the printer supports it, there should be a checkbox saying "duplexer" or something like that.

I suggest you delete the existing printer, add it again and pay attention to the options being offered; make sure you check that box related to two-side printing. Whether that will make it appear up front, I can't say, but at the very least it should not be greyed out anymore.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 28, 2019 6:28 AM in response to saxman251

I am not familiar with that particular printer, but usually when you add a new printer, you are asked for available options and if, the printer supports it, there should be a checkbox saying "duplexer" or something like that.

I suggest you delete the existing printer, add it again and pay attention to the options being offered; make sure you check that box related to two-side printing. Whether that will make it appear up front, I can't say, but at the very least it should not be greyed out anymore.

Two-sided Option to Print Is Greyed Out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.