You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't update macOS after Internet Recovery (which took it back to Mac OS X Lion) because two factor authentication!

So I installed a new SSD, installed the OS through Internet Recovery, which took it back to the original Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5.

Now I want to take it up to OSX El Capitan, but for that I have to sign in to the App Store, and I can't do that because two factor authentication is enabled. I can't get the verification code on my system, because this IS the system! Paradox!?

How do I proceed from here? I don't have any devices connected with this ID.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.12

Posted on Jun 28, 2019 10:57 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2019 1:19 PM

If you don't have any trusted devices you can use a trusted phone number to get the code if you have one or more set up. It can be any phone number including Androids and landlines. See: Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies

Can't update macOS after Internet Recovery (which took it back to Mac OS X Lion) because two factor authentication!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.