You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPlay to Apple TV + HomePod?

Does anyone have experience streaming video to an AppleTV with Airplay while HomePod is configured as an audio output for the Apple TV?

I have a HomePod stereo pair connected to my AppleTV.

If I play anything on the Apple TV - sound goes through HomePods without an issue.

When I try to stream video to Apple TV via AirPlay - it works just in some cases (given all the devices I tried with):

1) iPhone 6/iPhone X/iPhone XS Max (iOS 11/12) - enable screen mirroring to Apple TV & play video -> no audio on HomePods

2) MacBook Air 2014 (maxOs HighSierra/Mojave) - AirPlay a movie with QuickTime or Airflow - no audio, AirPlay with Beamer - works

3) MacBook 2015 (maxOs HighSierra/Mojave) - AirPlay a movie with QuickTime - no audio, AirPlay with Airflow / Beamer - *works*!

4) MacBook Pro 2018 - AirPlay a movie with QuickTime or Airflow - no audio, AirPlay with Beamer - works

To say I'm puzzled is an understatement.

Given that I observed it working in some cases *I'm sure it's technically possible*.

Now how come it works just in some cases and doesn't work in other?

What's others' experience? Is it just my bad luck? Does it work for others? Does it not work at all for others?

PS: I tried factory re-setting HomePods & Apple TV and re-creating a stereo pair. I switched from MBA 2014 to MBP 2018 and observed the same behavior as well as when I went from iPhone X to iPhone Xs Max. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 12

Posted on Jun 29, 2019 10:04 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2019 7:46 PM

You can’t do a three way like that. Especially not with youtube, you can airplay to youtube but not then send the audio to HomePod.

you could play this video from the YouTube app on Apple TV and send audio to HomePod

Similar questions

6 replies

Aug 3, 2019 11:42 AM in response to Vancouver22

Just saying "You can't" doesn't explain the reason.

AirPlay 2 came with multi-speaker audio support, then if I am AirPlaying a content from iPhone or MacBook to Apple TV, then I should be able to select HomePod as well at the same time from iPhone. Or change the Audio > HomePod in Apple TV.

What is the point of having a so called "Walled garden", ditching all general protocols like Bluetooth to make sure people buy only Apple product, if the Apple ecosystem itself can't support some basic things. Even if HomePod sounds great, but I definitely think it's not taking any advantage of "Apple ecosystem".

AirPlay to Apple TV + HomePod?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.