You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Space is not free after deleting large videos in files app on iPad iOS 12

using iPad Pro iOS 12

Similar to https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8569464 however no issues with deleting and the videos never come back.

I’m using luma fusion for video editing and the app uses the file app to store video files. So I have 4 videos taking up 20 gb of space. When I look at iPad space it says luma fusion takes up 25 gb of space. No problem so far all is normal.

Now I want to delete those videos I go to the file app delete the videos then go to recently deleted files and confirm I want to permanently delete the videos. The videos are gone luma fusion no longer sees them. So far so good

I go back to the setting iPad space usage and now luma furious is only using 5gb space, however the “other categorie” is now using 20gb of space it was not previously. I’d really hope someone has a solution to free up this space or understands what’s going on and could explain!11111

Thanks.

Posted on Jun 30, 2019 10:11 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2019 12:05 PM

First try a hard reboot:

• iPad models with Face ID: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Press and hold the Top button until the device restarts.
  • iPad with Home button, iPhone 6s or earlier, and iPod touch (6th generation) or earlier: Press and hold both the Side (or Top) button and the Home button for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo.

If that doesn't work, the best way to delete other is to do a backup now that the videos have been deleted, then restore your iPad from backup:

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 30, 2019 12:05 PM in response to Frankda4

First try a hard reboot:

• iPad models with Face ID: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Press and hold the Top button until the device restarts.
  • iPad with Home button, iPhone 6s or earlier, and iPod touch (6th generation) or earlier: Press and hold both the Side (or Top) button and the Home button for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo.

If that doesn't work, the best way to delete other is to do a backup now that the videos have been deleted, then restore your iPad from backup:

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

Jun 30, 2019 1:58 PM in response to lobsterghost1

Thanks for the suggestions. The reboot works but it’s not very practical. I’m hoping someone can give a suggestion that might alleviate the problem with a setting or a “Trick” but it might be a limitation of os 12 maybe iPad os 13 will fix this with more sophisticated file system management.

anyways thanks rbrylawski for the fast and helpful response!

Space is not free after deleting large videos in files app on iPad iOS 12

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.