You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to push a .pdf to a usb-stick from a MacBookPro?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 1, 2019 3:21 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2019 2:25 PM

Thanks for your answer. I did not realise that Apple demands a different file-system, since I can exchange .pdf, .jpg, .xls etc. without problems between Windows and Linux. I shall prepare a special Apple-usb-stick in case of the next failure.

6 replies

Jul 2, 2019 10:37 AM in response to Han73Car

Are you saying the file will not save to the USB stick? Or that the .pdf file is not readable/viewable?

How is the USB stick formatted?

Sometimes Apple cannot access external drives when they are partitioned or formatted on other systems. This is a known issue when Windows formats a drive with exFAT. Try reformatting the USB stick using macOS.

Edit: Also try using another drive for the transfer.

Jul 2, 2019 7:54 PM in response to Han73Car

The limitations of which you speak are primarily caused by Microsoft asserting that Windows New Technology File System (NTFS) is Microsoft proprietary, and they intend to sue anyone who writes to that format without paying a Royalty.

Apple thinks this is nonsense, so they do not write directly to NTFS Volumes, although MacOS can create and read such a Volume.

Microsoft does not acknowledge that there are any other File formats beyond Windows.

Apple reads all other common file formats except NTFS.

Have you tried formatting the USB-stick as ExFAT for use on Windows or MS-DOS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.