You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tip of the iceberg? Losing iTunes movie downloads

This might be the tip of the iceberg, but let's start with--I download movies in iTunes and it seems like as long as I keep iTunes open the downloads will stay there. However, if I close iTunes (maybe wait a day or so) and then open iTunes back up I have noticed I am losing some downloads. When I search for them in Finder I go to the spot where they should be and I can only see the appropriately named folder (of the downloaded movie) but there isn't a movie file in there any more.

Now, I say this may be the tip of the iceberg because, in the past I have noticed at least a couple other Excel files that have been deleted. I have been able to restore them from a cloud backup.

So, any ideas?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 2, 2019 5:24 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2019 7:38 AM

In iTunes Preferences->Advanced, do you have this checked?

Similar questions

2 replies

Jul 4, 2019 12:15 PM in response to woodmeister50

Thank you for your time!

That box was checked. I'll uncheck it. However, I have/had 4 movies downloaded. I've seen all of them. Only two were deleted. And, sometimes I'll download one, two, three... movies, close iTunes, wait a day (until I'm on the road in a non-wifi environment) just to find out 1 up to all of them have been deleted. Is this the same function for that checkbox? If I download a movie that I've seen before, don't watch it, close iTunes...does it think since I've seen int in the past when I close iTunes it will delete it? Further, in the home/music/iTunes.../movies directory, why is the folder of the deleted movie still there, just without the *.m4v file?

So, as this is just an example, I have had other files go missing (e.g. at least two different *.xlsx files). I have thus far been able to restore them from cloud-based backups, but it is infuriating to look for something while I'm on a plane just to find out it's gone and I can't get at it until I'm back in wifi.

I have read some about "console.app", but I can't find where you can search/track an individual file.

Other thoughts?

Tip of the iceberg? Losing iTunes movie downloads

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.