You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question regarding warranty and butterfly keyboard problem

Hello guys,

This year i bought a fresh new MacBook Air (Retina, 13-inch, 2018).

Had a problem with the display, a purple line appeared from nowhere. Went to repair store and fixed it.

2 months later my key "s" starting to acting crazy and doubling typing sometimes.

Went to repair store again but they found that i have liquid damage and this is the cause of that. The girl from Depanero Call Center didnt know to explain me if this is the problem for my key. I asked them to return my laptop.

Laptop is working fine, only the "s" key its double typing.

In attachment you can find the photos that Depanero sent to me. I cannot figure out how that affects my keyboard to be honest. Also i cannot confirm that liquid damage its from my fault. It could be, but not 100%. Very weird.

If my problem has to do with the well-known-problem of apple butterfly keyboards its not possible to replace my keyboard by the authorised service of Apple? They didnt care about my problem and didnt search if the problem is from liquid damage or if this is the problem macbooks's having all the time.

https://support.apple.com/keyboard-service-program-for-mac-notebooks

Thanks,

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 7, 2019 9:10 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2019 9:50 AM

The point is that Apple's warranty specifically EXcludes anything if there is evidence of liquids.

https://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/embedded-mac-warranty-us.html

Similar questions

2 replies

Jul 7, 2019 9:52 AM in response to notHAZARD

Only Apple can assist you with this matter. The one year hardware warranty only covers manufacturing defects ... potentially the keyboard would fall under this. However, what is complicating this, is the liquid damage. That is NOT covered under the warranty and only potentially as one of the two accidental incidents if you elected to get the AppleCare+ plan when you originally purchased this notebook.

Regardless, you have the option to take this "up the chain" of Apple until you are satisfied. I would start at the service center you took the notebook to and discuss it with their management. (I'm assuming that this outfit is an Apple Authorized Service Provider and not a third-party repair shop.) If that doesn't resolve the issue, you can try the Contact Support link in the upper-right hand corner of this web page.

Question regarding warranty and butterfly keyboard problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.