You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unreadable File Error 38 When Uploading Photos

So for the past few weeks I´ve been having intermittent issues uploading pictures from my iPhone to my Mac using Photos. Sometimes it works fine and sometimes it takes forever to "upload" but then an error message comes up at the end saying the files were unreadable (error #38). Just this morning I plugged in my phone and sucessfully uploaded like 20 photos as a test but immediately afterwards tried again and got the error message. I´ve tried all combinations of restarting the devices which doesn´t seem to work. I´ve also checked for updates for Photos and I seem to be running the latest version. Help!

MacBook Air 13", OS X 10.11

Posted on Jul 9, 2019 9:12 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2019 9:40 AM

I´ve also checked for updates for Photos and I seem to be running the latest version. Help!

If your signature "MacBook Air 13", OS X 10.11" is correct, you are not running the most recent version of Photos. The current version is Photos 4.0, and it is installed as a part of macOS 10.14.5 Mojave. You are three major upgrades of Photos behind.

If you are getting random results when trying to import photos from your iPhone, you may be using a defective cable to download from the iPhone. Try a different cable or a different USB port.

Which system version is running on your iPhone? Is iCloud Photos enabled on your iPhone?

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 9, 2019 9:40 AM in response to jaime_2204

I´ve also checked for updates for Photos and I seem to be running the latest version. Help!

If your signature "MacBook Air 13", OS X 10.11" is correct, you are not running the most recent version of Photos. The current version is Photos 4.0, and it is installed as a part of macOS 10.14.5 Mojave. You are three major upgrades of Photos behind.

If you are getting random results when trying to import photos from your iPhone, you may be using a defective cable to download from the iPhone. Try a different cable or a different USB port.

Which system version is running on your iPhone? Is iCloud Photos enabled on your iPhone?

Unreadable File Error 38 When Uploading Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.