You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't connect my new LG 4K Display to my 2013 Mac mini...

Hi...

Instead of buying a new iMac, I thought I would set-up my older Mac mini to the display as a desktop as a larger screen option to my MacBook Pro. I have the USB Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter and that doesn't work at all. The adapter allows me to connect the Mac mini to my MBP and see it there, but the Apple Store purchased LG 4K display won't turn on at all. Anyone have any suggestions?

Forgot to mention that I can also get onto the Mac mini via HDMI on our LG TV... Frustrated that I can't do it with the new display.

thank you

Mac mini, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 10, 2019 3:45 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2019 6:20 PM

LG UltraFine 4K Display - Apple

"System Requirements

Operating System: macOS Mojave 10.14.5 or later

Connection: Thunderbolt 3–enabled Mac, USB-C–enabled Mac or iPad Pro"

The Thunderbolt adapter is bidirectional for data, but for displays they only say it can connect a Thunderbolt display to a Thunderbolt-3 computer. You want to do the reverse.

About the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 10, 2019 6:20 PM in response to sherrydi

LG UltraFine 4K Display - Apple

"System Requirements

Operating System: macOS Mojave 10.14.5 or later

Connection: Thunderbolt 3–enabled Mac, USB-C–enabled Mac or iPad Pro"

The Thunderbolt adapter is bidirectional for data, but for displays they only say it can connect a Thunderbolt display to a Thunderbolt-3 computer. You want to do the reverse.

About the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple Support

Can't connect my new LG 4K Display to my 2013 Mac mini...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.