You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos application on Mac can't be open

Hello,

whenever I try to open "Photos" application on my mac, the following message appears :Photos cannot find the System Photo Library named “Photos Library.photoslibrary

Thank you very much.

PS: I have followed the following instructions in the below link but, unfortunately with no success:

https://support.apple.com/hr-hr/HT205966

Posted on Jul 12, 2019 4:07 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2019 4:43 PM

What system and Photos versions are you running?

Did this begin after you performed an update or upgrade? If so what?

Normally by default the Photos library will be located in your Home/User/Pictures folder.

Launch Photos with the Option key held down and see if any libraries are listed in the Choose Library window.

Do you have Time Machine enabled? Do you have a backup of your hard drive made prior to this happening? If so restore the library in the Pictures folder from the latest backup that has a library in the Pictures folder (assuming that is where you normally had it located).

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 12, 2019 4:43 PM in response to Mark_88_9

What system and Photos versions are you running?

Did this begin after you performed an update or upgrade? If so what?

Normally by default the Photos library will be located in your Home/User/Pictures folder.

Launch Photos with the Option key held down and see if any libraries are listed in the Choose Library window.

Do you have Time Machine enabled? Do you have a backup of your hard drive made prior to this happening? If so restore the library in the Pictures folder from the latest backup that has a library in the Pictures folder (assuming that is where you normally had it located).

Jul 13, 2019 1:03 AM in response to Old Toad

Dear Old Toad,

I appreciate your time and efforts to answer my question, 

now let me answer yours:

1- What system and Photos versions are you running?

MacOS  Mojave , all the applications were updated according to this OS version.

2-Did this begin after you performed an update or upgrade? If so what?

it is not clear when exactly that happened , but it looks like it  occurred after an update.

3- Normally by default the Photos library will be located in your Home/User/Pictures folder.

The folder was empty. 

4- Launch Photos with the Option key held down and see if any libraries are listed in the Choose Library window.

There was no a single library existed there.

4- Do you have Time Machine enabled? Do you have a backup of your hard drive made prior to this happening? If so restore the library in the Pictures folder from the latest backup that has a library in the Pictures folder (assuming that is where you normally had it located).

Fortunately  the answer is yes. I have followed your suggestion and it does work but sadly , I have managed to retrieve only the backed-up photos while the unbacked  up ones have disappeared. 

Thank you again Old Toad for your helpful answer 

Photos application on Mac can't be open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.