You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Mac book won’t startup please help

My mid 2012 MacBook Pro doesn’t boot up the startup screen gets stuck and if I try to reinstall OS X Mojave in is utilities the continue button greys out and if I try to do first aid or even try to change my startup disk it just loads and never does anything I also don’t have a time machine backup and online help doesn’t do anything

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 12, 2019 9:45 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2019 10:10 PM

Taken as a whole, those symptoms mean that Mac's startup disk has—probably—failed. For example when Disk Utility spins like that it means it's having trouble reading any data at all from one or more connected disks.

First please determine if you can start that Mac in "Safe Mode": Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac. That will take a long time, hours perhaps, so give it at least that long before you give up. Among the other things that Safe Mode does is to perform a cursory hard disk directory and repair, which might be worth attempting.

If it eventually starts, then immediately create a Time Machine backup. To learn how to use Time Machine please read Back up your files with Time Machine on Mac.

Then, make an appointment at an Apple Store or AASP: Contact Support. Hard disk drives are easily replaced.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 12, 2019 10:10 PM in response to roll29

Taken as a whole, those symptoms mean that Mac's startup disk has—probably—failed. For example when Disk Utility spins like that it means it's having trouble reading any data at all from one or more connected disks.

First please determine if you can start that Mac in "Safe Mode": Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac. That will take a long time, hours perhaps, so give it at least that long before you give up. Among the other things that Safe Mode does is to perform a cursory hard disk directory and repair, which might be worth attempting.

If it eventually starts, then immediately create a Time Machine backup. To learn how to use Time Machine please read Back up your files with Time Machine on Mac.

Then, make an appointment at an Apple Store or AASP: Contact Support. Hard disk drives are easily replaced.

My Mac book won’t startup please help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.