You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t delete iCloud Drive (Archive)

Hi there, I’ve disabled my iCloud Drive, then the system left me a folder, iCloud Drive (Archive).

Thanks in advance for telling what this folder is, actually, I know.

Now I’m trying to delete this folder since it’s useless to me and occupying my storage space.

The system told me that this folder is in use and not allowing me to move it to Trash.

Ive tried disabled iCloud ID and logged out and restart the Mac.

However, it’s still the same..., in use.

Can any master here advise how I can resolve this so that finally I can finally delete this useless folder?

thanks so much.

MacBook, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 16, 2019 4:17 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2019 10:47 AM

Hello michael chiang,

Thanks for that info and for choosing the Apple Support Communities. If I understand correctly, you are unable to delete the archive of the iCloud Drive folder on your Mac, even after trying some good steps. To help with this, use safe mode to start up your Mac as it does the following things:

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
  • Loads only required kernel extensions
  • Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically
  • Disables user-installed fonts
  • Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Log in to your user account and test the issue while in safe mode and then restart normally and test the issue again.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

Graphics performance limited in macOS Recovery, safe mode, or Guest User mode

Cheers!

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 17, 2019 10:47 AM in response to michael chiang

Hello michael chiang,

Thanks for that info and for choosing the Apple Support Communities. If I understand correctly, you are unable to delete the archive of the iCloud Drive folder on your Mac, even after trying some good steps. To help with this, use safe mode to start up your Mac as it does the following things:

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
  • Loads only required kernel extensions
  • Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically
  • Disables user-installed fonts
  • Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Log in to your user account and test the issue while in safe mode and then restart normally and test the issue again.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

Graphics performance limited in macOS Recovery, safe mode, or Guest User mode

Cheers!

Jul 17, 2019 11:29 PM in response to michael chiang

Open system preferences > click on iCloud and uncheck the box of iCloud Drive , click on keep a copy the boxes iCloud Drive , contacts , calendars , reminders are checked by default - so click on keep a copy .Immediately click on stop updating and continue , a pop up window will appear are you sure you want to stop updating and continue with sign out ( any documents not updated to iCloud Drive , will be moved to a folder named “ iCloud Drive archive in your home folder on this Mac ) so don’t click on “ cancel “ but " click on continue with sign out ."

Note : if documents are massive it will take time to archive the complete data , and you can't delete the iCloud Drive ( archive ) folder as data is still downloading in this folder and application is running in the back ground .

Jul 18, 2019 1:03 AM in response to michael chiang

Contact apple support senior advisor https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201232

Not sure what terminal commands were used , but if some thing goes wrong with primary account a new test user account is created https://support.apple.com/hr-hr/HT204443

The iCloud Drive , desktops a documents box are to be checked , mails , notes , photos , calendars , contacts boxes are checked and data is synced with iCloud server see this link https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-13101

In the new test user account all iCloud data will once again sync .

Can’t delete iCloud Drive (Archive)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.