You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot Reinstall macOS from recovery

Brought a used MacBook Pro (mid 2010) and person had not reset it to factory settings. I followed the instructions to reset but I now I can't reinstall macOS from recovery

MacBook

Posted on Jul 22, 2019 7:42 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2019 7:57 PM

Find another local Mac, fetch High Sierra there, then use that to build a bootable installer, and transfer that bootable installer back to the problem Mac and boot that and erase and reformat as GPT HFS+, amd then install High Sierra. This is basically the sell-or-giving-away sequence, but working around the Recovery failure; whatever happened here.

If you want to start from the Snow Leopard DVD, that’s a different approach... But that’s also possible.

The Internet recovery approach can be very slow. It’s a ~4 or ~5 GB download, and that’ll take a while on a slower link or if the Apple servers get slow...

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 22, 2019 7:57 PM in response to Tina_06

Find another local Mac, fetch High Sierra there, then use that to build a bootable installer, and transfer that bootable installer back to the problem Mac and boot that and erase and reformat as GPT HFS+, amd then install High Sierra. This is basically the sell-or-giving-away sequence, but working around the Recovery failure; whatever happened here.

If you want to start from the Snow Leopard DVD, that’s a different approach... But that’s also possible.

The Internet recovery approach can be very slow. It’s a ~4 or ~5 GB download, and that’ll take a while on a slower link or if the Apple servers get slow...

Cannot Reinstall macOS from recovery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.