You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need to export a movie that I can burn to DVD and play on older DVD players.

I need to export a movie that I can burn to DVD and play on older DVD players. My understanding is that it needs to be in MPEG-2 format.

How can I export(share) in another format other than m4v?

I'm working with iMovie 10.1.12

​[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jul 24, 2019 12:50 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2019 1:16 PM

Hi, Cindy,

In all settings other than Best Quality (pro Res) iMovie exports in Mp4, that will burn fine with a DVD authoring program. After exporting the Mp4 movie to your desktop, drag it into whatever DVD authoring program that you are using in accordance with the procedures required by the program.

-- Rich

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 24, 2019 1:16 PM in response to cindy152

Hi, Cindy,

In all settings other than Best Quality (pro Res) iMovie exports in Mp4, that will burn fine with a DVD authoring program. After exporting the Mp4 movie to your desktop, drag it into whatever DVD authoring program that you are using in accordance with the procedures required by the program.

-- Rich

Jul 26, 2019 8:00 AM in response to Rich839

Thank you so much for your replies, Rich! With your instruction I was able to see how to output the different file types. In the end, I think it came down to the fact that I needed a proper burning program. I had been using disk utility, which worked fine with newer DVD players, but didn't work with older DVD players. I purchased Wondershare DVD Creator and was able to quickly and easily do the job. And it does work on the older units now.

Thanks again for your help!

Cindy

I need to export a movie that I can burn to DVD and play on older DVD players.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.