You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using iMac Mid 2010 as a display for my 2017 MacBook Pro

According to the Apple instructions I should be able ton use my Mid 2010 iMac (21.5 inch) as a display for my 2017 MacBook Pro. On the https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204592#requirements page it shows it works with either MiniDisplay or Thunderbolt. But it does not... I purchased a Thunderbolt2 to Thunderbolt 2 cable (35 CHF...) and a Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt3/USB-C adapter (38 CHF...) with no result. Nothing happens when I press Command F2. Where is the problem ? Thank you for your help.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Jul 29, 2019 2:58 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Jul 29, 2019 3:22 AM in response to yvesmagat

The 2010 iMac does not have Thunderbolt interface so using any

Thunderbolt cable will not work.

What you need is a 3rd party generic USB-C to Mini DisplayPort adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=usb-c+to+mini+displayport+adapter&crid=1CSHF72E42SN5&sprefix=usb-c+to+mini+disp%2Caps%2C140&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_18

You then need a MiniDisplay Port cable (not Thunderbolt).

The various knowledge base articles really need to be updated to

reflect this.

On the Thunderbolt3 to Thunderbolt2 adapter page it states:

Jul 29, 2019 7:29 AM in response to yvesmagat

What is confusing is that on the Apple site both Thunderbolt and Minidisplay should work:

The chart says a 2010 21.5-inch iMac does not support target display mode. Note that support for the smaller screen size did not start until the following year (third line in your screenshot). Originally TDM was unique to only the 27-inch iMacs, including 2010 products, so your will not work that way.

Using iMac Mid 2010 as a display for my 2017 MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.