You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Charging apple devices

Going to Asia with my ipad, iphone & macbook air, do I need a transformer to charge them?

Posted on Jul 31, 2019 4:35 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2019 5:00 PM

Where in Asia? And where are you from? All Apple power adapters sold in the past couple of decades are rated to accept anything from 100-240 V and 50-60 Hz AC.

The standard power adapters that ship with iPads and Mac notebook computers since at least 2001 use a standard modular "duckhead" attachment that connects the particular connection type to the adapter. The standard North American one is two blades and can fold away for storage.

Japan uses the same type of outlet as the United States although it's 100 V. You should have no problem using the same two bladed connector as the US. China is a little bit different, where the outlets are higher voltage. I've been there and the typical wall setup uses these diagonal blades on top, and parallel blades (like in the US) on the bottom. It's not the same voltage, but I've plugged in power adapters directly and it worked just fine. The main difference seems to be that US plugs all have holes in them, while Chinese plugs are solid. However, they're physically interchangeable. I think Taiwan uses the same system as the US.

Other than that, you might need to research the types of outlets where you're going. Apple sells a "World Travel Adapter Kit" with all the duckheads.

If you've got an iPad USB-A power adapter, you should be able to use that with any iPhone with a Lightning cable.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 31, 2019 5:00 PM in response to fedphotog

Where in Asia? And where are you from? All Apple power adapters sold in the past couple of decades are rated to accept anything from 100-240 V and 50-60 Hz AC.

The standard power adapters that ship with iPads and Mac notebook computers since at least 2001 use a standard modular "duckhead" attachment that connects the particular connection type to the adapter. The standard North American one is two blades and can fold away for storage.

Japan uses the same type of outlet as the United States although it's 100 V. You should have no problem using the same two bladed connector as the US. China is a little bit different, where the outlets are higher voltage. I've been there and the typical wall setup uses these diagonal blades on top, and parallel blades (like in the US) on the bottom. It's not the same voltage, but I've plugged in power adapters directly and it worked just fine. The main difference seems to be that US plugs all have holes in them, while Chinese plugs are solid. However, they're physically interchangeable. I think Taiwan uses the same system as the US.

Other than that, you might need to research the types of outlets where you're going. Apple sells a "World Travel Adapter Kit" with all the duckheads.

If you've got an iPad USB-A power adapter, you should be able to use that with any iPhone with a Lightning cable.

Charging apple devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.