You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Formatting SD card

How do you format an SD card on a Mac Book Air

Posted on Aug 1, 2019 12:58 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2019 1:15 PM

Insert the SD card in the reader. Then launch Disk Utility. Which you'll find in Launchpad -> Other.

First select the SD Card on the left pane. Then select Erase. I have to translate it since I'm using the Dutch MacOS.

After clicking on the Erase button. You'll get a little menu. Here you can give the card a new name (named mine Antarctica). And from a drop down menu you can choose in which format you wish to format it. I went with ExFat since that one can also be read and written to in Windows and Linux. Next to MacOS.

Good luck.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 1, 2019 1:15 PM in response to drpmap

Insert the SD card in the reader. Then launch Disk Utility. Which you'll find in Launchpad -> Other.

First select the SD Card on the left pane. Then select Erase. I have to translate it since I'm using the Dutch MacOS.

After clicking on the Erase button. You'll get a little menu. Here you can give the card a new name (named mine Antarctica). And from a drop down menu you can choose in which format you wish to format it. I went with ExFat since that one can also be read and written to in Windows and Linux. Next to MacOS.

Good luck.

Formatting SD card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.