You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook suddenly extremely slow

My MacBook suddenly began to run extremely slowly, to the point of not being able to carry out simple tasks like browsing the internet. I managed to install Etrecheck and have attached the results of the report. Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

MacBook

Posted on Aug 2, 2019 3:00 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2019 9:44 AM

Your drive appears to be failing. The test normally completes in about 3 minutes, and your took over 20 minutes. Also your I/O test timed out (failed).

Re: backups--

If you submit your Mac to Apple, and they replace the drive, it is likely to return to you with only MacOS, and none of your files. That is why I was asking about what copies you have, and whether that is enough. MacOS can be re-installed form Apple in a bit over an hour, as a perfect replica of itself (it does not self-modify). Your files are different matter.

It certainly appears your Mac needs service. You can run the diagnostic by holding D-for-diagnostic at startup, and waiting for it to download and run. or you can just make an appointment and bring it in.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 13, 2019 9:44 AM in response to jayplattuk

Your drive appears to be failing. The test normally completes in about 3 minutes, and your took over 20 minutes. Also your I/O test timed out (failed).

Re: backups--

If you submit your Mac to Apple, and they replace the drive, it is likely to return to you with only MacOS, and none of your files. That is why I was asking about what copies you have, and whether that is enough. MacOS can be re-installed form Apple in a bit over an hour, as a perfect replica of itself (it does not self-modify). Your files are different matter.

It certainly appears your Mac needs service. You can run the diagnostic by holding D-for-diagnostic at startup, and waiting for it to download and run. or you can just make an appointment and bring it in.

Aug 2, 2019 7:50 AM in response to jayplattuk

Before your next run, please change the preferences to "allow Full disk Access" to allow more information to be discovered, especially about recent diagnostic events.

Your I/O test timed out. That may indicate your SSD drive is failing, but you are not showing a Time Machine backup.

¿What is the date of you most recent backup, and by what method?

Macbook suddenly extremely slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.