You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I delete iPhoto Library?

I want to free up space on my Mac and found a file called "iPhoto Library" that takes up over 100 Gigs. When trying to open it, it says "cannot open migrated library". I've looked online and people are saying that it isn't actually taking up that much space, but honestly I'd rather just delete it. I've also got mixed answers as to whether deleting it will remove any photos from my iCloud Photos Library. I'm happy with the Photos App and never want to use iPhoto again.

Wondering if anyone can give me a firm answer as to whether deleting the "iPhoto Library" file will remove any photos from my iCloud Photos Library, and is there any benefit to actually keeping it? Thanks!

Posted on Aug 5, 2019 6:10 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2019 8:41 PM

If you are satisfied that your iPhoto library was successfully migrated and the resulting Photos library contains all the photos you want from the old library, you may delete the old library without fear of affecting the new library. As noted, it won't save you much space unless you have deleted many of the migrated photos from the new library.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 7, 2019 8:41 PM in response to shepherd9

If you are satisfied that your iPhoto library was successfully migrated and the resulting Photos library contains all the photos you want from the old library, you may delete the old library without fear of affecting the new library. As noted, it won't save you much space unless you have deleted many of the migrated photos from the new library.

Can I delete iPhoto Library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.