You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Match and iCloud music library

I subscribed to iTunes Match and turned on iCloud music library but my music is not moving to the cloud. My hard drive is full which is why I am trying to do this.

MacBook

Posted on Aug 9, 2019 4:54 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2019 4:43 AM

iTunes Match doesn't move your music to the cloud, it copies it there. Tracks are matched, uploaded, or sometimes excluded for a variety of reasons. Details in About iCloud Music Library icons and status - Apple Support. Once content has been matched or uploaded you can free up space locally by selecting tracks, right-clicking, and using the Remove download option from the context menu. This doesn't happen automatically which appears to be what you were expecting. Note that matching is not always perfect, and even uploaded content may not redownload exactly as it was, hence the comments about iTunes Match not being a backup service. You should make a local archive of your library on external media before removing any downloads in case you find you need to restore any of your original files at a later date.

tt2

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 10, 2019 4:43 AM in response to tpilson6404

iTunes Match doesn't move your music to the cloud, it copies it there. Tracks are matched, uploaded, or sometimes excluded for a variety of reasons. Details in About iCloud Music Library icons and status - Apple Support. Once content has been matched or uploaded you can free up space locally by selecting tracks, right-clicking, and using the Remove download option from the context menu. This doesn't happen automatically which appears to be what you were expecting. Note that matching is not always perfect, and even uploaded content may not redownload exactly as it was, hence the comments about iTunes Match not being a backup service. You should make a local archive of your library on external media before removing any downloads in case you find you need to restore any of your original files at a later date.

tt2

iTunes Match and iCloud music library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.