You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'd like to export the mail folder to a MacAir that has a 128G SSD

My mail folder (user/library/mail) is 23G. I had mail dating back to 2008 which I went thru and weeded out what's unneeded - purged over 10K messages. They were subsequently all in Trash and deleted from there.

This has had NO impact on the size of my mail folder.

I'd like to export the mail folder to a MacAir that has a 128G SSD but would like to get the folder down to a reasonable size.

Any suggestions?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Aug 11, 2019 1:17 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2019 11:17 AM

I see from the V6 that you're on Mojave, I'm on HS so have V5, but no data_rebuild folders... what is in yours?

I'd Quit Mail then move one out to Desktop, start Mail & see how it acts & if it recreates it the same size.

Similar questions

15 replies

Aug 16, 2019 12:37 PM in response to BDAqua

I’ve got the mail file trimmed down to 4.93G after deleting all the Data_Rebuilt files and things are working OK.

I know the Data_Rebuild files are used when rebuilding mailboxes - I saw that file increment after a rebuild. I suspect it’s also used during import.

It would make sense for the files to delete after they run; don’t know why they didn’t.

Disk Drill was a big help; thanks to BDAqua. 

I'd like to export the mail folder to a MacAir that has a 128G SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.