You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

adding transitions to overlapping clips

iMovie is not allowing me to add transitions between overlapping clips. they transparent are png files. I've turned off automatic content

Posted on Aug 14, 2019 10:54 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2019 12:25 PM

Hi,

Can you send a screen shot of what you are seeing?

When you say "overlapping" I take it that you mean that you are inserting the photos in the auxiliary timeline above the main time line, and above another photo or clip -- and then intend to use the Picture in Picture feature. If so, you cannot add transitions to media in the auxiliary time line. However, if you move your cursor over the photo little blue handles will appear in the upper left and upper right corners. When you slide the handles you can impart a fade to the photo, that will act like a transition. Holding down the option key will allow you to move the handles independently of one another.

You can add any type of transition to transparencies placed in the main time line, like any other photo. Make sure that the photo has sufficient duration to support the transition. If you cannot add the transition in this situation, try opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if it works.

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 14, 2019 12:25 PM in response to richjm61

Hi,

Can you send a screen shot of what you are seeing?

When you say "overlapping" I take it that you mean that you are inserting the photos in the auxiliary timeline above the main time line, and above another photo or clip -- and then intend to use the Picture in Picture feature. If so, you cannot add transitions to media in the auxiliary time line. However, if you move your cursor over the photo little blue handles will appear in the upper left and upper right corners. When you slide the handles you can impart a fade to the photo, that will act like a transition. Holding down the option key will allow you to move the handles independently of one another.

You can add any type of transition to transparencies placed in the main time line, like any other photo. Make sure that the photo has sufficient duration to support the transition. If you cannot add the transition in this situation, try opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if it works.

-- Rich

adding transitions to overlapping clips

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.