You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch Series4

When it come to heart rate can the Apple Watch record heart rate accurately if you are in AFib because of the random nature of the rate?

Apple Watch

Posted on Aug 17, 2019 1:08 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2019 7:46 AM

Series 3 can monitor heart rate, provided you don’t have anything like wrist tattoos which interfere with the optical sensor. It is not continuous monitoring, you will get spot checked at intervals, on my Series 3 it seems to sample about every 5 minutes if I leave it to do its own thing. You can also initiate an extra check manually outside the automatic sequence.

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 18, 2019 7:46 AM in response to 1GBillings

Series 3 can monitor heart rate, provided you don’t have anything like wrist tattoos which interfere with the optical sensor. It is not continuous monitoring, you will get spot checked at intervals, on my Series 3 it seems to sample about every 5 minutes if I leave it to do its own thing. You can also initiate an extra check manually outside the automatic sequence.

Aug 17, 2019 1:23 PM in response to 1GBillings

Apple Watch is approved as a pre-diagnostic screening level device for AF, but it sounds like you already know about a positive AF diagnosis so that function will not tell you anything new. The heart rate monitor will still be useful to you within its measuring range (30-210 per minute) but if the AF anomalies go outside that range it will have reduced accuracy.

Aug 17, 2019 1:41 PM in response to Branta_uk

Yes already discussed with my Electrophysiologist and a plan of action is in place which calls for me monitoring my rate in a relatively accurate way. The watch would seem to be a convent way when out and about to monitor what's going on. The fall back position is simply taking your pulse for confirmation but this is difficult to do when driving ect. Do you know will the Series 3 measure heart rate or do I need the 4. Quite a difference in price.

Apple Watch Series4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.