You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage: Sending a message via Text (SMS) instead of iMessage

Does anyone have this issue as well: I'm unable to force/choose for a message to be sent via text message (SMS) instead of iMessage. At times for any reason, I would like for my message to be sent via text rather than iMessage, but the message would go out too quickly before i can hold the blue bubble and select 'send via text message'.

Anyone knows how to go about doing this, other than switching off iMessage or mobile data temporarily? I personally dislike switching off iMessage as it messes things up and takes some time for it to be reactivated.

Thanks!

Posted on Aug 19, 2019 9:07 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2019 11:47 PM

This behavior is intended. When iMessage is enabled, it is the preferred method of sending messages and your iPhone will only send a message as an SMS message if iMessage is unavailable or the intended recipient either doesn't use, or isn't eligible for iMessage. So this is behaving as designed.

1 reply

iMessage: Sending a message via Text (SMS) instead of iMessage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.