You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring content from old mac to new mac

How long should it take to transfer content using Migration Assistant from old mac to new Mac using wireless?

Posted on Aug 21, 2019 12:49 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2019 1:28 PM

NEVER EVER use wireless it will fail 100% of the time and take weeks to do so, no I am not kidding!

Wi-Fi simply does not have the bandwith to support migrating data from Mac to Mac. I would STRONGLY recommend connecting the old Mac's Time Machine external HD to the new Mac and then launching Migration Assistant. This type of migration at the max will take about 2 hours.

If for some reason you do not have a Time Machine backup from the old computer connect the two then connect the two using an Ethernet cable. A Time Machine backup connected via a USB cable is the preferred method, why because it works 100% of the time and it is the quickest method.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 21, 2019 1:28 PM in response to plusmouse

NEVER EVER use wireless it will fail 100% of the time and take weeks to do so, no I am not kidding!

Wi-Fi simply does not have the bandwith to support migrating data from Mac to Mac. I would STRONGLY recommend connecting the old Mac's Time Machine external HD to the new Mac and then launching Migration Assistant. This type of migration at the max will take about 2 hours.

If for some reason you do not have a Time Machine backup from the old computer connect the two then connect the two using an Ethernet cable. A Time Machine backup connected via a USB cable is the preferred method, why because it works 100% of the time and it is the quickest method.

Transferring content from old mac to new mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.